Following a consultation between July - December 2012 the Council Executive committee agreed a new housing allocation scheme on 11 July 2013. The reports can be accessed here
To be eligible to go on the waiting list people will be:
Applicants will need to live in the borough at time of their application and have been resident for three out of the last five years. Exceptions to this will include people who are resident in a hospital or supported housing unit and who were previously resident in the borough. Groups that the council is proposing may be excluded from the housing waiting list include;
• Those who are legally ineligible due to their immigration status.
• Those guilty of serious unacceptable behaviour including those who have previously breached conditions of tenancy, have been convicted of an indictable offence or have fraudulently obtained a property.
• People applying for housing who are not in immediate housing need e.g. have less than 100 points.
• People who own or jointly own accommodation.
• Where the household has sufficient income or capital to meet their own housing need.
4.2 The category of serious unacceptable behaviour is defined as being applicants or members of their household who have committed unacceptable behaviour – as defined under s167 of the Housing Act 1996 - serious enough to make them unsuitable to be council tenants which may include;
• Breaching a condition of the tenancy agreement
• Causing a nuisance to neighbours
• Being convicted of using their home for immoral or illegal purposes
• Being convicted of an indictable offence, in or in the vicinity of their home.